Ever since Tommy Colina’s closed in Omaha (RIP) I have been searching for the most perfect wonderful biscuits and gravy recipe. I have tried several things and I have come pretty damn close to recreating it, or at least making it amazing. As much as I want to be the only one who knows how to make this amazing creation, I feel like it’s only right to share my discovery with the world. So I have tried to write it down. But you must know, I do not follow a recipe nor do I not taste my food while it cooks. For me, it’s about sight and smell. So take this recipe and make it your own. You won’t be disappointed. Beware, you won’t be able to stomach any other crappy biscuits and gravy that you may meet after making this. Once you go down the fat trifecta, you can’t go back.
- 1 pound pork sausage (mild flavor)
- 2 cans evaporated milk
- Regular milk
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 tbsp Bacon grease (save that shit, it comes in handy)
- Thyme -1 tsp, ground, or 1 tbsp fresh/dried
- Sage 1 tbsp fresh/dried
- Rosemary – a pinch (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Flour (approximately 1/2 cup)
- Brown pork sausage in large fry pan (DO NOT DRAIN GREASE)
- Add spices while browning sausage
- Add bacon grease and butter- allow it to melt
- Add flour and let it soak up the grease/butter combo
- Quickly add one can of evaporated milk and stir until flour and milk has become a gravy
- Add second can of evaporated milk or regular milk as needed to get to the consistency you want. Add more flour to make thicker or more milk to make thinner. Warning- do not over-do the flour or it will take out the flavor.
- Simmer for about 5-10 minutes on the lowest setting- keep stirring or it will turn into a baked good.
Gravy will be a nice tan color when finished. Serve with your favorite biscuits!